Today was my beautiful girl’s 2nd birthday. I can’t believe that this little person has been in our life for such a short time but has brought us so much joy. I couldn’t imagine life without her now.
She was so excited about her big day. Ever since it was her father’s birthday she knows that birthday equals cake. She was extra bubbly and a little bit cheeky and frustrating at times, but nothing took that smile off her face. I had grand plans of getting her a build-a-bear, but after she rearranged the store we reconsidered. She was still very happy that she got to sushi train and that her cousins came to visit.
I wanted to make something special for her big day. I also wanted to trial my recipe before her big troll party on the weekend. These strawberry cupcakes feature a surprise strawberry center and the frosting is spiked with strawberry jam. According to the family, they were delicious. Octavia really enjoyed her as well. The only thing I may change before the big day is to use white sugar instead of coconut sugar. This is only to allow the natural food colouring to change the colour of the cupcake. I did try a bit in the batter but that caramel colour would not budge.
I also made a batch of mini cupcakes for Octavia’s kindy class. I used the same recipe but just cut the strawberries in halves or quarters and cooked the 36 cupcakes for only 12 minutes.
Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Jam Frosting
(vegan, nut free)
1 3/4 cups unbleached plain flour
1 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp himalayan sea salt
1 cup soy milk or other plant milk
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
12 frozen strawberries
1/2 cup vegan butter
3 cups powdered sugar
½ cup smooth Strawberry jam
natural red food coloring (optional)
100’s & 1000’s (natural coloured, optional)
1.Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Prepare cupcakes liners in the cupcake pans.
3. Take a large bowl and combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Whisk it all together and crumble any lumps.
4. Take another mixing bowl and combine the remaining ingredients, except for the strawberries. Whisk together, then add to the dry ingredients and stir through.
5. Fill the cupcake liners with 1 tablespoon of the mixture then drop in a strawberry. Then top with more of the mixture. Careful to only fill the cupcake liners with about two-thirds of the way.
6. Bake for about 20 minutes. Use a cake tester and cook for a few minutes longer if they need it. Allow cupcakes to cook on a drying rack and don’t frost until they are no longer warm.
7. Prepare the frosting while the cupcakes are cooking. Place vegan butter and jam in an electric mixing bowl. Blend until creamy, then slowly add the powdered sugar and lastly a few drops red food coloring.
8. Once the cupcakes have cooled down, place the frosting in a piping bag and top each cupcake with a nice swirl. Sprinkle with some 100’s and 1000’s.