Now the weather is cooling down its time for stews, soups, and casseroles. This is one of my favourite casseroles. It’s easy to make and I just love the Cheddar Dumping Topping. You can swap the beans for cannellini beans or chickpeas. You ca also empty the vegetables from your fridge and use what you have on hand.
Kidney Bean Casserole with Cheddar Dumplings Topping
(vegan, nut free)
Ingredients for Kidney Bean and Vegetable Stew:
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 large brown onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
1/2 bunch shallots, diced
2 sticks celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 red capsicum, diced
1/2 cup white wine (optional)
1 teaspoon sweet hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
1 can good quality tomato pulp
2 zucchini (diced)
2 cups cooked kidney beans
2 cups vegan chicken or vegetable liquid stock
sea salt & black pepper to taste
Ingredients for Dumplings:
200 g self-raising flour
100 g grated Cheezly White Cheddar Style/vegan or organic cheddar
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
6-7 tablespoons ice cold water
5 tablespoons vegan butter
1. Heat a large oven proof pot with olive oil. Then add onion and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes and as it starts to brown, add celery and shallots and cook for a further 5 minutes.
2. Add carrots, capsicum and white wine. Continue to cook until the wine is absorbed.
3. Add the paprika, liquid smoke, lemon thyme, bay leaves and parsley.
4. Saute the vegetables for a couple of minutes, then add the tomato pulp. Continue to cook until the carrots start to soften
5. Add the zucchini, kidney beans, liquid stock, sea salt and black pepper. Bring to the boil, then leave to a simmer for 30 minutes.
6. In the meantime preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
7. Before placing the stew in the oven, prepare the dumplings. In a large mixing bowl add flour, cheddar, and parsley. Then add the butter and mix it through with your hands. Then add cold water one tablespoon at a time, until it forms a dough.
8. Roll the dough into about 12 balls.
9. Top the stew with the dumplings on the outer edge.
10. Bake for 30 minutes, then serve.