I was so inspired by my recent visit to Nodo, I decided to create my own baked donuts. Mine aren’t gluten-free however, they are vegan, soy-free and nut-free. They are also made from mostly spelt and with fresh pumpkin, so they nutritious and easier to digest. Coconut sugar also works beautifully in them, so they are just sweet enough. I hope you like them!
Spelt Pumpkin Baked Donuts
vegan, soy free, nut-free
coconut oil spray or vegan butter, to grease
1 cup plain flour
1 2/3 cups white spelt flour (or plain flour)
2/3 cup coconut sugar (or other sugar)
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup plant milk
3/4 cup pureed pumpkin (roasted in olive or coconut oil)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
melted dairy-free chocolate, to garnish
toasted pumpkin seeds, to garnish
cocoa powder, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and grease a donut baking tray with coconut oil spray or vegan butter.
- In a large bowl combine plain flour, spelt flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and sea salt. Whisk to get out the lumps.
- In another bowl combine the plant milk, pumpkin, vanilla extra and apple cider vinegar. Stir through with a whisk
- Add the wet ingredients to the large bowl of dry ingredients and stir through.
- Use a piping bag to pipe the batter into the donut baking tray. You can do this by hand with a spoon.
- Bake donuts for 20-25 minutes or until they are cooked all the way through.
- Let the donuts cool on a drying rack, while you melt the chocolate and toast the pumpkin seeds
- Trim the base donuts if you need, then dip in melted chocolate and top with toasted pumpkin seeds and cocoa powder.
*Makes 12 baked donuts
2 thoughts on “Spelt Pumpkin Baked Donuts”
Those look incredible- anything covered in chocolate!!
Thank you 😁
LikeLiked by 1 person