For Octavia’s 3rd birthday this year, I made some special cupcakes for her big party, with her favourite fruit of the moment, blueberries. These mini cupcakes are a great size for little people and dessert tables with a few options.
This recipe is similar to the cupcakes I made last year for her Trolls 2nd Birthday. This year I changed the fruit, shrunk them down, used less sugar in my frosting and organic butter inside of Nutlex. I found that the butter did better in the heat since Nutlex seems to melt and separate. If you have a better dairy-free butter alternative in your country then feel free to make them vegan. If you can’t get a good quality vegan butter then an organic grass-fed butter is the healthier option if you really want to include the frosting.
Mini Blueberry Cupcakes with Blueberry Jam Frosting
(vegetarian, vegan option, nut free, soy free)
1 3/4 cups unbleached plain flour
1 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt
1 cup coconut milk or other plant milk
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
1/2 cup organic butter or vegan butter
2 cups powdered sugar
½ cup blueberry jam
1.Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Prepare mini cupcakes liners in the mini cupcake pans.
3. Take a large bowl and combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Whisk it all together and crumble any lumps.
4. Take another mixing bowl and combine the remaining ingredients, except for the blueberries. Whisk together, then add to the large bowl of dry ingredients. Stir the ingredients well before lastly adding the blueberries and stirring them through.
5. Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way, making sure at least 2-3 blueberries were included in every cupcake.
6. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the cupcakes have been cooked through. Use a cake tester to check that they are cooked inside. Allow cupcakes to cook on a drying rack and don’t frost until they are no longer warm.
7. Prepare the frosting while the cupcakes are cooking. Place the butter and jam in an electric mixing bowl. Blend until creamy, then slowly add the powdered sugar.
8. Once the cupcakes have cooled down, place the frosting in a piping bag and top each cupcake with a nice swirl.
*Makes 24 mini cupcakes