It’s been a while since I have posted any recipes. I haven’t been as passionate about cooking recently, while I’ve been juggle uni, a testy toddler and constant onslaught of the flu. Cooking has been more a chore of late, but I’m hoping that now I’m on holidays I can experiment with some new recipes. I’m really excited to make some homemade pasta after watching the new docuseries, Salt Fat Acid Heat. If you have Netflix you must check it out and have your passion for food renewed.
So this recipe is just a quick lunch I prepared for myself and my partner, while our daughter was having some Nonna time. I was inspired by Spinach and Potatoes Baked with Eggs from Scandinavian Comfort Food. Since I was missing some of the key ingredients, I italianized it with what I had on hand. I also got to try out my new Lodge caste iron skillet, which I bought as an non-toxic alternative. It was a great to cook with and easy to clean.. Well easy for Marco to clean, since I’m the cook.
This dish can serve two hungry people or three, if you add another egg. I served it with a fresh green salad coated with my new favourite ingredient, Cobrum Estate Lemon Infused EVO. I also used this oil in the hash to infuse it with a fresh lemon flavour. If you watch the first episode of Salt, Fat Acid Heat, you will get why I’m a bit obsessed with EVO right now.
Baked Eggs with Mediterranean Hash
(vegetarian, dairy free, gluten free)
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup potato, washed, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
1 cup eggplant, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup red capsicum, sliced
1 cup zucchini, cubed
3 garlic, chopped or diced
2-3 tbsp sun dried tomatoes, sliced
1/2 large red chilli, diced
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
sea salt and black pepper to taste
2 tbsp pine nuts
drizzle of Lemon Infused EVO (optional)
2-3 large organic eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a oven-proof skillet on medium heat and then add the potatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes before adding the eggplant and onion. Cook for another 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the potatoes are a little browned.
- Add the red capsicum, zucchini, garlic, sun dried tomatoes and red chilli. Saute for another 5 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
- Add rosemary, sea salt and pine nuts and saute for another minute before turning of the heat.
- Stir through a drizzle of lemon infused EVO and more sea salt to taste.
- Crack the eggs on top of the vegetables and place in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the egg whites are cooked. Serve immediately with a fresh green salad.