I’ve been trialling recipes for O’s big party day this weekend and Fried Zucchini is on the menu. I was inspired by my fellow Calabrese friends that post a lot of delicious photos of traditional fried dishes in our group. This recipe is pretty easy and very quick to prepare. I hope my friends and family liked it as much as my little family did.
Fried Zucchini (vegetarian, nut free, soy free)
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced in thin rounds
- 1/2 cup or more flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 large pinches of sea salt, more to serve
- Olive oil for frying
- First organise your three bowls of flour, beaten eggs and a combined mixture of bread crumbs, grated cheese and sea salt.
- Dust the zucchini with flour, this will help them accept the batter. Dip them into the egg and lastly coat with bread crumb mixture. Set aside on a plate or baking tray, until all the zucchini are battered.
- Now heat the olive oil in a fry pan, it should be about 1.5-2 cm high. To test if the oil is hot enough put a little breadcrumb in and see if it sizzles. Now you can start putting your battered zucchini rounds into the pan. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan and cook each for about a minute on each side or until golden brown. Place the zucchini on paper towel on a plate or tray to drain the oil.
- Once all the zucchini has been fried, place on a serving tray with a pinch of good sea salt to serve.