One of my favourite desserts to make for parties and family get-togethers are these mini cupcakes. They are great to serve on the dessert table or when you have an event where you need to bring-a-plate. They look quite impressive and plentiful and everyone will be happy they got to try one.
This recipe is a hybrid between Chloe Coscarelli’s Yoga Cupcakes (Chloe’s Vegan Desserts) and Angela Lidden (The Oh She Glows Cookbook) Chocolate Avocado Frosting. I cook a lot from both of these books. So I often take inspiration from these recipes and make them mine own. I have used the Chocolate Avocado Frosting to make Angela’s Double Layer Chocolate Fudge cake. It was so lovely, moist and decadent. I found that it goes perfectly with these cupcakes. Everyone who has tried them can not tell that it’s not a traditional frosting and that it has avocado and no icing sugar. I usually have heaps leftover, so I enjoy it as a chocolate mousse dessert when everyone goes home.
The photos of these cupcakes are from Octavia’s first birthday. They were one of a few different vegan dessert options. I made the Cupcakes, Vanilla Star Cookies, Cherry Hand Pies, Buckeyes. The Baklava was made by a friend and the Strawberry Shortcake Cake with Buttercream with made by Cloverly Cupcakes. The cake was tasted amazing and was huge. What I love about their vegan cupcakes and cakes is that they are made from wholemeal flour, organic raw sugar and natural, non-processed ingredients where possible. This was a little while ago so it won’t be long until I have to do this all again for her second birthday.
Mini Chocolate Raspberry Surprise Cupcakes with Chocolate Avocado Frosting
(vegan, nut free, soy free)
Ingredients for Cupcakes: (makes about 36):
1 1/2 cups unbleached plain flour
1 cup coconut sugar or muscovado (light or dark)
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp himalayan sea salt
1 cup water
1/2 cup olive oil or melted coconut oil
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
34-36 frozen raspberries
34-36 mini cupcake liners & mini cupcake tray
Ingredients for Frosting (makes 1.5 cups):
2 large ripe avocados
6 tbsp cocoa powder
5 tbsp maple syrup or more to taste
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
pinch himalayan sea salt
1.First prepare the frosting to give it time to firm a bit. First, place the avocado in the processor and blend until smooth. Then add the rest of the remaining ingredients and process until you have a consistently smooth frosting.
2.Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Prepare cupcakes liners in the cupcake pans.
3. Take a large bowl and combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk it all together and crumble any lumps.
4. Take another mixing bowl and combine the remaining ingredients, except for the raspberries. Whisk together, then add to the dry ingredients and stir through.
5. Fill the cupcake liners with about 1 teaspoon of the mixture then drop in a raspberry. Then top with more of the mixture. Careful to only fill the cupcake liners with about two-thirds of the way.
6. Bake for about 12 minutes. Use a cake tester and cook for a few minutes longer if they need it. Allow cupcakes to cook on a drying rack and don’t frost until they are no longer warm.
7. Place the frosting in a piping bag and top each cupcake with a nice swirl on top.